Although the State of Wisconsin banned yard waste such as leaves, weeds, lawn thatch, flowers, vines and other non-fruit or vegetable matter from being collected and disposed of with household trash, yard waste can still be disposed of in several ways.
1. A note on grass clippings: Grass clippings are not considered yard waste and are not accepted at the drop-off sites or collected with yard waste collection. Leave grass clippings in place or consider starting a compost pile. You can also use grass clippings as mulch under trees and shrubs at home. Don’t rake grass clippings into the street!
2. Take advantage of curbside yard waste collection which takes place each fall. Yard waste materials such as leaves, weeds, lawn thatch, flowers, vines, and other non-fruit or vegetable material may be placed in the curb-line of the street between September 25 through November 13, 2022. Please note that collection will not begin for up to two weeks after the start date of collection. To prepare your yard waste for collection:
· Rake yard waste into the street along the curb line forming a long, low pile.
· If you don’t have a curb, place material along the roadway in a long, low pile.
· Wet material down to prevent it from blowing away.
· Remove pots and soil from plants before placing for collection.
· Mix yard waste into brush piles.
· Place materials for collection in drainage ditches, alleys, refuse containers, ash boxes, or piles in your yard or driveway.
· Place yard waste for collection at any other time but during the dates listed.
· Park over yard waste piles. This prevents crews from picking up material and is a fire hazard.
· Place fruit and vegetables, including pumpkins, into the curb line with yard waste due to rodent activity. Instead, place those items in a plastic bag, tightly tied, then disposed of in your City garbage cart.
3. Bring your yard waste to one of the West Allis drop-off sites for disposal without charge. View drop-off site locations and hours here.
Just a reminder to residents the last brush collection for red weeks is Sept. 26 to Sept. 30 and for black weeks is Oct. 3 to Oct. 7. After these dates brush may be brought to the Municipal Yard, 6300 W. McGeoch Ave., for disposal. View brush collection guidelines here.