EAST ALLIS NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION WINS LITTLE FREE LIBRARIES GRANT
The East Allis Neighborhood Association (EANA) has won the AARP Wisconsin Small Dollar, Big Impact grant! Their proposal to hold a one-time event for residents to come together and build their own free little libraries has fetched a $1,000 grant. The association plans to create up to 15 little libraries to start. Projects of this type, both artistic and community-building, bring joy as neighbors get to enjoy books from these libraries at no charge. Congratulations to the EANA, and to learn more about Little Free Libraries, visit our page, www.westalliswi.gov/littlefreelibraries.
LEAF RELIEF & YARD WASTE COLLECTION ENDS NOV. 21
A reminder that the last leaf and yard waste day is this Sunday, Nov. 21. Rake or place designated items in the curb-line of the street. Our crews will start to collect the following day, Nov. 22, and throughout the following week as the city-wide collection can take up to one week to be fully processed. Review all that is included and find more information on our Brush & Yard Waste page, www.westalliswi.gov/yardwaste.
THANKSGIVING WEEK REFUSE & RECYCLING COLLECTION & BUILDING CLOSURES
Garbage and recycling collection is affected during holiday weeks, including next week, the week of Thanksgiving. Garbage and recycling will not be collected on Thursday, Nov. 25 and Friday, Nov. 26. Crews may work ahead or fall behind due to the shortened work week. If not collected on the first day listed, collection will take place the following day.
Red Recycling Week:
- Monday, Nov. 22 will remain Monday, Nov. 22
- Tuesday, Nov. 23 will be collected Monday, Nov. 22, and/or Tuesday, Nov. 23
- Wednesday, Nov. 24 will be Tuesday, Nov. 23, and/or Wednesday, Nov. 24
- Thursday, Nov. 25 will be Wednesday, Nov. 24, and/or Monday, Nov. 29
- Friday, Nov. 26 will be collected Monday, Nov. 29
Black Recycling Week:
- Monday, Nov. 29 will be collected Tuesday, Nov. 30
- Tuesday, Nov. 30 will be collected Tuesday, Nov. 30, and/or Wednesday, Dec. 1
- Wednesday, Dec. 1 will be Wednesday, Dec. 1, and/or Thursday, Dec. 2
- Thursday, Dec. 2 will be Thursday, Dec. 2, and/or Friday, Dec. 3
- Friday, Dec. 3 will remain Friday, Dec. 3
DPW offices will be closed, the Municipal Yard will be closed for drop-off, and garbage and recycling will not be collected on Thursday, Nov. 25, and Friday, Nov. 26
Office hours and drop-off hours are subject to change due to staffing or weather. Be aware that a snowstorm may further alter this collection schedule.
Please make garbage and recycling carts accessible to crews. Carts that are frozen to the ground or buried in snow can cause injury to the collection crew or damage to the cart if they attempt to move the carts.
For any questions or information regarding your collection, fill out our Let Us Help form at www.westalliswi.gov/letushelp.
West Allis City Hall, West Allis Police Department, West Allis Senior Center, and West Allis Public Library will be closed on Thursday, Nov. 25 and Friday, Nov. 26.
The West Allis Farmers Market is closed on Thursday, Nov. 25 and the last market day of the season is Saturday, Nov. 27.
COMMON COUNCIL APPROVES MAYOR’S 2022 BUDGET
The West Allis Common Council officially passed the 2022 Budget last night. The Budget passed, 8-1, and can be found as an attachment, here: www.westalliswi.gov/budget.
A few of the highlights the City will focus on in 2022 are:
1) Additional resources for the West Allis Police Department to combat reckless driving in our community – including steaper fines and cameras.
2) Funding and additional steps to deal with rodent complaints and nuisance abatement issues.
3) Funding and programming for additional security lights in alleys in eligible areas.
4) Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Activities including training for staff, and plans to seek grants for an all-inclusive playground for children of all ages and abilities.
5) Pilot Program regarding snowstorm impacts on refuse/recycling collection.
DONATIONS FOR THE HOLIDAY FOOD DRIVE NOV. 20
The West Allis Community Improvement Foundation (WACIF) Holiday Food Drive is this Saturday, Nov. 20! Visit the West Allis Farmers Market, 6501 W. National Ave., from 11:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. to donate food items to benefit West Allis food pantries. Grab lunch from the food trucks onsite, with the full market beginning at 1 p.m. as usual. The first 100 people to donate five items or more get the chance to win a free city logo merchandise item. When donating at the food drive, parents can also enter their child into a special drawing – where one lucky West Allis kid gets to light the Christmas Tree on Dec. 4 with Mayor Dan Devine! Look for the city logo trailer to drop off your items. You can also donate online at www.westallisfoundation.org.
SMALL BUSINESS SATURDAY NOV. 27
Shop at locally-owned West Allis businesses through the remainder of November to support our community and local economy this holiday season. Save your receipts from Nov. 1 – 27 and redeem them for raffle tickets during Small Business Saturday, Nov. 27. That Saturday is the raffle at West Allis City Hall Centennial Plaza, from 1 - 3 p.m. Spend $10, and receive one ticket entry. The lucky raffle tickets pulled receive a West Allis gift basket, each valued over $100, from West Allis Downtown. To learn more, visit the West Allis Downtown – Business Improvement District (BID’s) Small Business Saturday page, www.westallisdowntown.com/small-business-saturday.
CHRISTMAS FESTIVITIES IN WEST ALLIS DEC. 3-4
The City is excited to host special holiday events during an early weekend in December, throughout Friday, Dec. 3 and Saturday, Dec. 4! First up that weekend is the Christkindlmarkt. With over 55 vendors offering specialty food and artisan crafts, get your hot chocolate fix and shop for gifts including desserts/cookies, popcorn, soups, coffee/tea, beer, pet gifts, food truck fare, and much more. Enjoy live music and caroling as you shop. You can't go wrong when you visit the West Allis Farmers Market during this special weekend. Entrance to this market is free. See www.eatwestallis.com/events for our full list of vendors.
Visit www.wachristmasparade.com for information on all Christmas events.
Christkindlmarkt at the West Allis Farmers Market
Allis in Winterland
- Saturday, Dec. 4, 3:30 p.m.
- West Allis City Hall Art Gallery, 7525 W. Greenfield Ave.
Christmas Tree Lighting
- Saturday, Dec. 4, 4 p.m.
- West Allis City Hall Centennial Plaza, 7525 W. Greenfield Ave.
- Saturday, Dec. 4, 4:45 p.m.
- 81st St. State Fair Park entrance, east on Greenfield Ave., then south to Orchard Ave.
COVID 19 WEEKLY SUMMARY REPORT
View the latest COVID-19 summary report on the City's website at www.westalliswi.gov/coronavirus.
COMMUNITY UPDATE RETURNS DEC. 1
There will be no community update for next week. Look for the next update on Wednesday, Dec. 1.