Join your neighbors on Thursday, Sept. 23 from 4 – 6 p.m. as we celebrate the grand opening of your new park at 6031 W. Burnham St. Get ready to enjoy:
- Live music, family-friendly activities, and Lola’s Empanadas food truck from 4 – 6 p.m.
- Ribbon cutting with Mayor Dan Devine, elected officials, and City staff at 4:30 p.m.
- Kids’ crafts and story walk with West Allis Public Library (plus, register for a Library card on the spot!)
- Kids' activities with West Allis-West Milwaukee Recreation & Community Services Operation Recreation
- Artist Erico Ortiz live painting the park’s Little Free Library
- Featured musician: Orlando Peña
In 2019, the City of West Allis partnered with Better Block, an urban design non-profit, to initiate revitalization efforts in the City’s Burnham Pointe district, south 60th St. and W. Burnham Street. With independent businesses, vibrant restaurants, and a diverse population, Burnham Pointe is well positioned for residential and economic growth.
In September of that year, Burnham Pointe residents and businesses, and the community gathered at 60th and Burnham and the adjacent City-owned vacant lot to imagine what the area could be. Feedback was overwhelmingly positive to the temporary improvements made for this event, and in 2021, the City of West Allis furthered its commitment to the Burnham Pointe district by making the temporary Better Block enhancements permanent features in the area.
Bump-outs, curb markings, parking stalls, and bike lanes have been established at the 60th and Burnham intersection to calm traffic and provide a safer atmosphere for pedestrians. 16 new planters were added to beautify the intersection and create green spaces. The vacant gravel lot has been transformed into Burnham Pointe Park, a community gathering space featuring a play area, seating, and a small stage for live music or other events. The City has partnered with Parkitecture + Planning to create a welcoming, vibrant focal point for this lively, unique neighborhood.
For the safety of guests, masks are recommended at this event. Join us Sept. 23!