Environmental Health


Environmental Health is a regulatory and licensing agency for the following:

  • Bed and breakfasts
  • Food service establishments
  • Food vending machine operations
  • Hotels and motels
  • Mobile home parks
  • Public swimming pools
  • Recreational/educational camps
  • School food service programs
  • Tattoo and body piercing establishments

Environmental Health also investigates the following:

  • Asbestos hazards
  • Housing complaints
  • Human or animal rabies exposure
  • Lead based paint hazards
  • Nuisance complaints (garbage, odors, noise, pollution, etc)
  • Rodent and insect infestations
  • Other environmental hazards

Environmental Health informs and offers consultation for a variety of environmental health topics such as radon, asbestos, and lead.


food.jpgIf you are a business owner thinking about opening a food establishment, the Environmental Health division has created a packet to help guide you through the process.

Interested in starting a new food establishment in West Allis? View Guidelines (PDF).

The Environmental Health division conducts routine and investigative inspections of all food establishments in West Allis. If you are curious about how your favorite restaurant scored on it's latest inspection, call 414-302-8600 for more information on how to view their report.

View food establishment inspection reports.

Filing a Complaint

complaint.jpgYou can file your complaint in three ways:

Contact the health department at 414-302-8600, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Please realize our staff is in the field for portions of the day, it is best to contact them prior to 9:30 a.m, or between 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.

Email an Environmentalist (see Environmental Health Staff contact information for email listing.)

File a complaint on the city's main website

Please realize that contact information (your name, address, address of complaint, and a phone number) are required, so that we can obtain the appropriate information prior to an investigation of the complaint. Failure to provide the necessary information may delay the investigation findings.


Mold 1.jpgMold is a type of fungus generally resulting from an excess of moisture. When found in large quantities, mold spores may cause allergic reactions and/or respiratory irregularities. Damage to physical property is also an area of concern.

The key to mold control is moisture control. Mold(s) can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on virtually any substance, provided that moisture is present. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, and foods. Please visit The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for more information. Find mold cleaning tips. Additionally, you can always contact the West Allis Health Department for assistance.

Rodents & Vermin

Norway RatRodents are an increasing nuisance in the world of urban pests; in order to prevent rodents from finding a home on your property we advise the following steps

Eliminate Food Sources

  • Contain garbage in approved containers
  • Don't put recyclables or garbage out too early for pick up
  • If you have bird feeders, make sure they are rodent proof and spilled seed is cleaned up daily
  • Maintain gardens and pick up fallen fruit and produce

Eliminate Water Sources

  • Eliminate standing water
  • Keep bird baths clean and monitor for rodents

Eliminate Harborage (places to live)

  • Compost piles
  • Elevate wood piles
  • Eliminate brush piles
  • Keep Grass and weeds under control
  • Monitor for burrows

For more information click the link below or contact the West Allis Health Department at 414-302-8600.

Rodent Control Factsheet (PDF)

Lead Poisoning & Prevention

lead chips in paintLead exposure in young children can cause reduced IQ and attention span, learning disabilities, developmental delays, and a range of other health and behavioral effects. Most exposures occur in homes or daycares built before 1978 where lead-based paint has deteriorated because of deferred maintenance or where lead hazards have been created through renovation done without using lead-safe work practices- DHS Wisconsin.

Lead-safe renovator certification and company certification is required beginning April 22, 2010. Learn more about Wisconsin's Lead-Safe Renovation Rule, including downloadable facts, guidance documents and a list of training providers of the Lead-Safe Renovator course: visit Wisconsin's Lead program at Wisconsin Lead Program

Bed Bugs

Bed BugBed bugs are small wingless insects that feed by hematophagy - exclusively on the blood of warm blooded-animals.The most effective way to control bed bugs in your home is through a combination of chemical measures and heat treatments applied by a Pest Management Professional (PMP). Unfortunately, the service of a PMP can be costly. So we are providing information on how to control a bed bug infestation on your own. Find tips on how to prevent and get rid of bed bugs.