Snow Angels Program
Volunteers to Shovel Needed
We are still in need of volunteers to assist those who have already requested assistance with snow removal. If you are interested and available to help an elderly or disabled neighbor in need with snow removal during the remainder of this winter, keep reading to learn more, or apply now to be a Snow Angel for someone in need.
Things to Know About Signing Up to Volunteer as a Snow Angel:
- You will be assigned to a neighbor in need who lives no more than a 10-minute walk from your address (you may volunteer to assist neighbors beyond that distance if you'd like).
- We will contact you via email with confirmation details when you have been assigned a neighbor.
- You may not be assigned to help a neighbor immediately. Neighbors request help throughout the winter season. You may be assigned immediately, a few weeks after you sign up, later during the winter, or not at all, depending on demand and weather conditions.
- Your assignment depends on if there is a neighbor who needs help near you. If none of your neighbors sign up, we may not be able to assign you. Either way, we will keep in touch regularly!
- You can opt-in to receive text message reminders when a snow event of half an inch or more is forecasted, when you sign up for Public Works News, at www.westalliswi.gov/notifyme. Per City of West Allis Municipal Code, a snow event refers to the continuous accumulation of more than one-half (1/2) of an inch of snow. That's when your help will be needed!
- Per City of West Allis Municipal Code, areas to be cleared after snowfall include:
- Public sidewalks, cleared to a minimum width of three feet.
- Curb ramps at corners, cleared to a minimum width of three feet, including the portion of the street to the plowed area.
- Fire hydrants shall be cleared to allow full access around the hydrant from the street. All properties within 150 feet of a fire hydrant shall be responsible for clearing the hydrant.
- Per City of West Allis Municipal Code, compliance times for snow removal after a snow event are as follows:
- Within 24 hours after the end of a snow event.
- Within 24 hours after the formation of ice.
- Within 24 hours after snow has been blown or drifted back onto a previously cleared area.
- We ask that you help out your neighbor as soon as you are able and within 24 hours of the end of a snow event.
- Sometimes more than one neighbor who needs help live in the same block. If you’re willing to help shovel and salt for more than one neighbor, please let us know on your registration form.
- Neighbors are expected to have a snow shovel and salt available for their Snow Angel. In rare instances that they are unable to provide these tools, we will notify you via email.