Re-Opening West Allis
Local order #1 expires may 21
The current order, Order #1, issued by the Suburban Milwaukee Health Officers is set to expire at 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, May 21, 2020. No further city-wide order will be issued at this time. All remaining businesses will be allowed to open, if they choose to, utilizing the CDC and WEDC’s Safe Business Practices and Physical Distancing and Protective Measures for staff and patrons.
Public health leaders have carefully tracked key indicators to guide the safe reopening across the city, county and state. As such, we have outlined recommendations to guide future phases of reopening. Please see the “Suburban Milwaukee County Safe Opening Capacity Guidance” chart.
Key indicators such as health care capacity, total tests performed, contact tracing and isolation capacity, and the availability of personal protective equipment (PPE) will continue to be monitored and can be found on the Milwaukee Milwaukee County of Emergency Management dashboard on the Key Indicators tab (found at the bottom of the dashboard).
Public health officials will continue to monitor these key indicators weekly to provide residents and businesses a realistic, data-driven approach to understanding the current COVID-19 situation. We will communicate to the public regularly via social media and on our website, which phase we are currently in and if we are approaching the transition to a new phase.
The threat of COVID-19 is still very much alive in West Allis and throughout Southeastern Wisconsin. West Allis Health Department will continue to investigate COVID-19 disease in our community, with a focus on aggressive testing, case identification, and contact tracing.
- Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation guidelines for various business industry openings
- Window sign: download and print window sign (PDF) for your West Allis business to demonstrate your health safety practices
- Financial assistance opportunities for businesses
- Other business resources
- Think you have COVID-19 symptoms? Complete an online self-assessment through the Wisconsin Health Department.
- Find a COVID-19 testing site
- Donate blood - find a center near you
- West Allis community resources
Personal protective measures for us all
- Consult your primary doctor if you have symptoms of the coronavirus or think you may have been exposed
- Maintain physical distancing between people not residing in your household
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Cover coughs or sneezes (into the sleeve or elbow, not hands)
- Regular cleaning high-touch surfaces
- Don’t shake hands